This year the LHP received 102 eligible submissions from 33 publishers and authors worldwide, all published in 2017.
The Adjudicating Committee met in June, 2018 at New College, Oxford, at the invitation of its long-standing member Robin Lane Fox. Other members participating were Dr Jennifer Wallace – Chair, Dr Nick Lowe, Profess or Stefa nos Pesmazoglou, Dr Felix Budelman and non voting member Michael Moschos.
The Short List included 7 books:
- Josephine Balmer, The Paths of Survival (Shearsman Books)
- Daniel Mendelsohn, An Odyssey: A Father, a Son and an Epic (Harper Collins)
- Kamila Shamsie, Home Fire (Bloomsbury)
- Yopie Prins, Ladies’ Greek: Victorian Translations of Tragedy (Princeton UP)
- Calm Toibin, House of Names (Viking)
- David Vann, Bright Air Black (Windmill Books)
- Emily Wilson (t rans. ) The Odyssey (W.W.Nort on)
Kamila Shamsie novel ‘Home Fire’ was chosen as the winner of the 2017 LHP.
The award ceremony of the 2017 Prize took place in at the Great Hall , King’s College London on 26th November 2018 at the kind hospitality of Professor Gonda Van Steen, incumbent of the Koraes Chair and Director of the Centre for Hellenic Studies.